Today, the war memorial becomes one of the biggest stages on Hue Festival occasion
Located on the Southern bank of Huong river in front of Quoc Hoc High School, the war memorial was built to commemorate French and Vietnamese soldiers who lost their lives in the First World War (1914-1918).
Designed by Mr. Ton That Sa - teacher of Ba Cong School, the war memorial was commenced on May 12th, 1920 and finished on September 18th, 1920. Being constructed as traditional screen with immitiated tile roof, its body and foundation are flexibly and effectively decorated with stylized dragon, apricot, orchid, chrysanthemum and bamboo. The two brick pillars constructed in front of the memorial make the structure look even more majestic. Names of 31 French and 78 Vietnamese soldiers were formerly engraved on the memorial. Although the war memorial was constructed in accordance with French colonial empire's demagogue policy, its architecture and fine art value are highly appreciated. War memorial is especially suitable for Quoc Hoc High School and the ancient yet romantic landscape by Huong river.